We believe that our people’s mental wellbeing is equally as important as their physical wellbeing. That’s why we introduced a mental health working group comprising a cross-section of employees to lead the roll out of a health and wellbeing program at Curragh to promote positive mental health.
This year, we focussed on mental health awareness and six focus areas:
- Improve understanding – mental health awareness training conducted for all new-starters and leaders
- Reduce stigma – our people participated in two awareness activities including R U OK? Day and QLD Mental Health Week
- Improve policies and procedures – we updated our Personal Leave Policy to specifically reference mental health and are in the process of reviewing our Readiness for Return-To-Work Policy and associated procedures
- Measure, report and respond – we receive quarterly reporting from our employee assistance program provider and monthly reports from our peer support program to ensure we have the data to better respond to the needs of our workforce
- Address risks – we implemented a mental health first aid program to train our people. In 2019, we rolled out four courses where 44 personnel were trained and 22 were registered as Workplace Mental Health First Aiders
- Support self-care – with the support of our designated mental health first aiders, we are seeking ways to encourage and educate our people to understand the link between mental health and physical health